Friday, September 28, 2012

25% of October Proceeds to Domestic Violence Charities


As many of you know, October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month … But did you also know it is Domestic Violence Awareness Month?

10 years ago, I was a Domestic Violence Advocate, working in a county shelter.  At that time the statistic was that 1 in 4 women were victims of REPORTED abuse … which means that the numbers are even higher considering how many abusive encounters go unreported.  Helping these women, and children, meant a lot to me, because I know what it is like to be in their shoes, both as a child and an adult.

The sad truth is, in these last 10 years, that statistic hasn’t changed much, and in fact, the numbers are staggering.  To read more of these statistics, visit http://domesticviolencestatistics.org/domestic-violence-statistics/.

But there are organizations that are there to help, www.thehotline.org is one of them.  This is the National Domestic Violence Hotline, which is open 24/7 and can put callers in contact with safe houses, legal advice, set up a safety plan, and a wealth of other resources.

To shine a light on this matter, for the ENTIRE month of October, 25% of the proceeds from ALL my book sales (both paperback and eBook) will be going to the hotline.  Last year I was able to raise $125 for a cancer walk from just one book signing at my work, so I am excited to see how much I can contribute through opening the event to all the shows and signings, online and offline, sales I have in the month of October. My goal is $500, if not more!!

I would be grateful for any help you can give in assisting me to reach this goal.  Yes, I would love to sell more books and get my name out there ...  BUT at the end of the day, this fundraising is truly about helping the women and children in my area, and the country, who feel they have no way out.  There is a way and we can all help them by getting them the resources needed for a better, brighter future.

***If you would like to pass this along to friends or family, by all means do it!  You can also follow me on Facebook or twitter, or my blog http://amyoneillonline.blogspot.com/.  I will be keeping a weekly tally through the month of October to show how much has been raised.


If you are interested in making a personal donation to the hotline, click here: https://donate.ncfv.org/donate_now_ndvh
 
On behalf of myself and the voices that go unheard, I truly thank you for any donations made or assistance given.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be posted shortly.

Here is what you missed!