Sunday, October 14, 2012

So What's It Worth?

Firstly, let me just say that as a book lover - I still scoff at the prices some writers want to charge for books.  Granted some of them really are too high, but as a writer myself, I now see the necessity of it.

For the last year I have been putting myself out there, doing whatever I could to sell a book, but I think all it has done is cheapen the worth of my books. And by no means am I judging when I make this next statement, cause Lord knows I've done it enough myself - but I feel like a woman who's given it up too soon.  All in an effort to be liked.

And I do want to be liked.  As a writer, as a humanitarian, as a person.  But I also want to be respected in the morning.  I want people to know that I know my worth and value what I have to offer. 

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I'm not trying to write the next American classic.  BUT - I do believe my books are good ... my fans believe they are better than good!  And it is them and my family who have been telling me for so long to stop "giving it away."

I've heard the words, but the reader in me - the one who remembers buying $3.95 books at the grocery story only 10 years ago - well that person has held me back.  People are frugal today, I'm one of them.  Watching every penny and getting the best value for the price.  It is that part of me that dropped my books so low.  But in the process it has devalued all those hours of research, writing, editing, and tossing and turning until my book(s) are done.

I know there could be a backlash from this and I am willing to deal with that.  But as of tomorrow, all of my pricing is going up.  I may still sell my paperbacks for $10 at book signings, but online they will be starting at $14.99.  And say goodbye to the 99 cent ebooks.  They will all be going up to $4.99.  I may drop the price in the week before a new novel comes out, but I don't know that I will make it any lower than $1.99.

I've put out so much money trying to market and get the word out and right now I feel like I'm swimming against the current.  So I'm going to make the reader in me stop fighting and go with the flow of what any other author trying to make a living would do.

I have a few more book signings this year (check my EVENTS tab for deals), but otherwise, I'm going into writer mode now and so my tweets, Facebook updates, and even blog posts won't be what they were.  It's time to get down to the business of writing and stop putting out the "NEEDY" energy.  I truly believe when we think "I NEED THIS" or  "I DON'T HAVE THAT (e.i. more Facebook/Twitter/Blog followers, sales, etc), that the Universe answers us but not giving us what we want.  

My fans are out there.  I have been bless to meet some of you and your love of my books and wanting of more is what keeps me motivated to put out material that IS worth the wait and the cost.

And for you who won't buy my books now because of the cost, that's okay too.  


1 comment:

  1. Your time is indeed worth the money. The research, countless hours behind a keyboard when you don't feel well and the numerous re-edits, re-writes and much more make your books special and valuable. Those are your babies and you should always treat them as such. They deserve the best that you have to offer.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. It will be posted shortly.