Sunday, November 24, 2013

Author Interview for Romance Junkies

Earlier today I had an interview over at Romance Junkies!  Check it out: 



I am so glad you could join us here at RomanceJunkies. To start, will you please tell us a little bit about your current projects? Right now I am working on the first book of my newest series Village Vixens: Diary of Zelda Mae Pearl. I hope to have that out before the end of the year!  I currently have two series out so this will be three I’m working on simultaneously.  For my California Dreamin’ Series I have released Finding Home and Playing with Fire.  For my Small Town Series I have out Taking Chances and I am working on the second book, Down for the Count.

When was the moment that you knew you had to be a writer?
It took me a long time to admit it…nearly two decades!  I loved to write, but always thought it wasn’t good enough.  Finally I made myself finish a whole book and not just a chapter.  Then I read it and realized I AM a writer.  That book was Finding Home (pretty fitting name now that I think of it!)!

Every writer dreams of getting "the call". What were you doing when yours came? Who got to hear the good news first? 
I never got the call.  All it took was one rejection letter for me.  A friend asked why I put myself through all that process when I could self-publish.  After a few months of researching I went for it and haven’t looked back since.  I most definitely will never forget hitting that ‘SEND’ button to make my first book available for sale.  I knew in that moment my life would change course, I just never guessed how much!  It was 2:30 in the morning and I was too excited to sleep that night so work was extra long that day!

Who gave you the one piece of writing advice that sticks with you to this day? 
Deirdre Martin -another great romance writer- her advice was so simple – just keep writing!!

Describe the “perfect” hero. What about the “perfect” hero for you?
The perfect hero both in my books and for me (whenever we eventually meet) is someone who knows how to handle a strong, independent woman, who respects her and knows how to make her feel like a woman.  My heroes all seem to have a touch of sarcasm and mouthwatering chests…which really are good things in real life too. ;)

What are some of your favorite pastimes?
I am a big baseball fan; more of the minor league games then watching on TV…just something about being third base side with the smell of the grass and the crack of the bat ringing over the field…love it!  I love camping, fishing with my son, having pedicure days with my nieces, and spending time with friends at the local pub (great people watching and I get so many ideas!!). 


Do you have any hobbies or collections?  I used to collect oil lamps, Native American figures, and dolphin stuff … but four major moves in less than ten years and I was tired of packing/unpacking so I majorly downsized to my few favorite pieces.

What has been your biggest adventure to date?
LIFE!!!  There are too many things to mention – 2 divorces, multiple moves/job changes/life events.  I think the best adventure so far has been my son, Jake.  I adopted him when he was 22 months old. He will be 14 in February and any mom of a teenage boy can tell you that is its own kind of adventure!

If your fairy godmother waved her wand and whisked you away to the location of your choice, which place would you choose, and why?
The Smoky Mountains….a cabin just outside Gatlinburg that is close enough to get the necessities, but far enough to not have all the people.  I love it there, to sit on the porch and watch the morning fog hug the mountains, to relax in the hot tub at night and listen to the sounds of the woods.  And don’t get me started on cozying up in front of the fireplace!  Oh and let’s not forget those handsome Southern men and their accents – need I say more!

When it comes to food, are you the adventurous type who will try anything once, or do you prefer to stick to tried and true foods and recipes?
I’m not opposed to trying new things now and then, just not a fan of seafood.  When all else fails most places (even Red Lobster) have great Chicken Cesar Salads!  When I do cook, I love recipes from my grandmothers like homemade dumplings, cornbread, beef and noodles (also homemade).

What is your favorite season? What do you love about it? I love Fall.  I love Halloween, the changing colors, the smell of burning leaves, the warmth of a hot chocolate on a fall night at a football game.  I also love it because it means wrestling season is just around the corner and I love watching my son wrestle for his middle school team!

What is the one modern convenience that you cannot do without? My laptop!  Between my writing, Facebook, YouTube, Hulu, bill paying, banking, and checking my son’s grades – I would be so lost without my laptop!


What is this romance writer's idea of the "ideal romantic evening"? My idea may be different than most would think for a romance writer.  I’ve been single since February and haven’t done a whole lot of dating for a while so I’m rusty. For me, my ideal romantic evening would be going to a sporting event (baseball, preferably, or hockey, MMA, etc.), then dinner afterward.  I am a ‘what you see is what you get’ kind of girl so me in my blue jeans, t-shirt, and sneakers is what he’s gonna get! I like things low-key and fun.  Now once dinner is done maybe a drink at the local pub to listen to the DJ or bad karaoke, or maybe going back home for a movie or some other cuddle time. 

How do you describe yourself? How would your family and friends describe you?
 
I am a small town girl through and through.  I hated being from a small town as a kid, but after my first divorce it was the place I came to recover.  My town now is about 3,000 people, which doesn’t seem like a lot, but it’s 3 times the size as the town I am originally from!  I am funny, sarcastic, at times dramatic (helps being a writer), I love to laugh and be silly.  I would give anyone the shirt off my back, love helping others, hate to cook most of the time, take too many bubble baths, date all the wrong men, have very few close friends – but they mean the world to me.  As far as my friends and family, I think they will say the same.  I also think they will tell you I am too humble, I never give myself enough credit, and I am a strong woman who goes after what she wants and doesn’t let a bump in the road stop me.


And lastly, no interview of a writer would be complete without this question: what is your favorite comfort food?
I am SO addicted to Pepperridge Farm mutli-grain chips and hummus right now!  I can’t get enough!  When nothing but ice cream will do I reach for Ben & Jerry’s Heath Coffee Bar.  Now I’m hungry!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be posted shortly.