Friday, November 22, 2013

Author Interview for Why I Can't Stop Reading

Earlier today I did an author interview over at Why I Can't Stop Reading!  check it out: 





1.            How would you describe The Small Town Series to someone who has not read any of your previous work? The Small Town Series is contemporary romance and set in the town I live in – Blissfield, Michigan. It really is like any other small town and I think my characters come across as the same people you’d find at any backyard barbeque or bonfire across the country. 

2.            Which part of researching Taking Chances was the most personally interesting to you? Were there any facts or themes that you would have liked to include, but they just didn't make into the story? Taking Chances was the most personal, and will be the most personal, of all the books I write.  I used a past relationship as the basis for it.  The only difference between fact and fiction is that in real life, he picked the other woman.  It was nice to walk down memory lane, I had a lot of fun in that relationship, but an out-of-state job opportunity and distance made us much better friends…which is saying a lot!


3.            What are you reading right now? Are there any authors (living or dead) that you would name as influences? Sometimes I get romance overload and need to read something different, I love self-help books and right now I’m reading Woman Food God by Geenen Roth.  As far as influences, I love Rachel Gibson and Deirdre Martin.  As a new writer I reached out and Deirdre was wonderful with her advice and support.  I hope to be that kind of influence some day!

4.            What was the book that most influenced your life — and why? Heaven by V.C. Andrews!!  I just love the story about a girl who’s seen the worst poverty in a shack in the mountains and finds her way to wealth…the whole series is amazing, but at the time I read it (I think I was around 15 years old), it made me believe that if this ‘person’ could overcome that, then I could deal with the struggles I faced back then. 

5.            If you had a book club, what would it be reading — and why? Probably Getting Naked: Five Steps to Finding the Love of Your Life (While Fully Clothed & Totally Sober) by Harlan Cohen.  I’m halfway through reading it and I think it would be fascinating to see what other women (and men) would say about it. 

6.            How personal is your writing? My first novel, Finding Home – California Dreamin’ –Book #1, was very much me as the character.  It wasn’t until after I read it again once it released that I realized how much of why I am the way I am was in there…almost too much of me.  Taking Chances was personal because it was a based on a relationship.  By time I wrote Playing with Fire – California Dreamin’ and my newest work in progress (Village Vixens: Diary of Zelda Mae Pearl) the characters really aren’t based on me.  Some of the supporting characters may be remnants of people who’ve been in and out of my life. I tell everyone be careful how they treat me as I can put them in a book and not always in a nice way…lol.


7.            Who designed the covers? Since I’m self-published I design all my covers.  I have tried to keep them in the same style, but as time goes on I know future covers will be different.  I have a cousin who is an amazing graphic artist and we have talked about collaborating.

8.            What did you want to be when you were growing up? From middle school on I was so sure I was going to be a marine biologist.  In reality I have an Associate Degree in Travel Management.  At the time, I was told I would always have a job in the travel industry…that was before the internet.  It was a major killer for a travel agent and her commissions!!


9.            Do you ever write naked? ;) No, but that’s a thought!!  Actually, my writing room faces my back yard, which normally isn’t a problem, but the police department is on the other side of that yard and I’m pretty sure those officers can see anything from there!  Then again, that could add some excitement to their small town routine!  Lol

10.         Who would play you, in a film of your life? I would love to say Sandra Bullock – love her!  But I’ve been told I sound like Judy Tenuta…minus the accordion. 

Some quick word association:

1.    Food – pita and hummus (addicted to it right now)
2.    Animals - dolphin
3.    Moon – full
4.    Flowers – Roses of Sharon
5.    Red - Blood
6.    Cell Phones – another body part
7.    Ocean - snorkeling
8.    Books – my world
9.    Diamonds – baseball (favorite sport!)
10. Time – Hammer (lol…couldn’t resist)

Thank’s for taking the time to answer my questions


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be posted shortly.