Friday, October 16, 2015

Creating my space...

Having the right soundtrack ready and the ideas running through my mind gets me a long way when I'm getting in the writing zone.  But there are a few other items that really help me hit that sweet spot.    

I've realized I'm not the only writer like this.  I have several writer friends that have their own 'things' they surround themselves with before even hitting a single letter on the keyboard.  Maybe it's a bit of superstition, like those hockey players who don't shave during the play-offs or the baseball fans that put their rally caps on when their team is done in the 9th inning.

We all have our own ways of preparing.  Then again maybe I'm a bit OCD and need things to be just right before I can try to get any work done.  It wouldn't be the first time I'd be accused of being weird like that.

So here are just a few things that help me get my ducks in a row.  

Grandpa's sweater - My paternal grandfather passed away when I was 17 years old.  He was a preacher and when he wasn't in his light blue dress shirt with his red tie, he was either rocking a white tank-top undershirt, an Ohio State sweatshirt, or some other button down shirt.  On chilly days he had a sweater that reminded me of Mr. Rogers.  I became the owner of said sweater after he passed.  To most people it would seem ugly.  It is pea/puke green with brown buttons down the front.  I feel as if I need to be in a library whenever I wear it...maybe that is why I chose to wear it only when I am writing.  It has the same effect as Superman's cap for me...the minute I put it on I go from scatter-brained-Amy to Focused-Writer-Girl.  

Writing board - I'm a visual person, I love vision boards and when it comes to preparing for any new book, I first start with finding photos of actors who look like the characters I have in mind. This is super helpful for me when I'm writing a scene and trying to imagine what the characters facial or physical gestures at any given time would be.  I used to keep the photos in a word document, but once I created my office I got a large cork board that I have over my desk.  This really helps me too so I don't have to switch from my writing document back to a photo document.  I also like putting the pending cover design on there too.  (FYI - this is the OLD cover for Down for the Count....it's being revamped).


Jolly Rancher Cinnamon Hard Candy - Yes...candy helps me focus!  Maybe it's the sugar, maybe it's the doing two things at once (sucking on candy and using my brain).  I don't know why this works...but it does!  I know another writer who prefers peppermint candies while another loves chocolate kisses.  But for me there is something about the cinnamon flavor that does the trick.   Added bonus - the spicy flavor helps keep my sinuses clear as well!  It's a win-win!

That's just a few things I have around me when I am writing....in addition to making the walls a cool mossy green that is calming, the throw blanket over the back of my chair that I got as part of a trade of my books with another vendor at a craft show, and my dogs sleeping on the loveseat next to my desk.

So there you have it, a glimpse into what constitutes my happy writing space.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be posted shortly.

Here is what you missed!