Friday, November 6, 2015

Wait for it....

I've been a little MIA for the last few weeks on blog posts, and this week I know I've missed several days of Facebook posts....and I'm not even freaking out about it! Yay me!

My personal life has been hectic lately as my wonderful boyfriend of 14 months moved in and we are learning how to co-mingle full time.  It's been an adventure and overall great! I'm learning to let go of some control and truly enjoy having a partner in all areas....it's nice to not have to "wear the pants" all the time!

Also in the last few weeks I've had several mind-blowing encounters...mostly when I open up Elizabeth Gilbert's latest book BIG MAGIC.  Wowza!!  Even if you are not a creative type person, I think this book is amazing to read and really made me step back and re-evaluate my writing approach.

Whenever I've been blocked or haven't written it's because I haven't felt my creativity flowing.  I never wanted to 'force' my writing .... but that has been my error.  In my 'sit around and wait for inspiration', I realize that I didn't exactly have the door open for that same inspiration to walk through.  There's a saying that God doesn't call the ready, he readys the called.  In that same mindset - inspiration doesn't come to someone sitting there, it comes to someone doing the work.  How else will inspiration know who's ready to receive it?

In BIG MAGIC, Gilbert states that she feels ideas are an energy force themselves, all around us like air, and just looking for the conduits to come to life.  When someone is ready and open, that idea comes through and comes to life - in art, music, medicine, etc.  But if that person isn't open, the idea continues until it finds someone to let it in.  This idea of ideas being energy also explains how two people, on opposite ends of the world, can come up with the same conclusions in medicine, technology, etc.  Both of those people were open and the idea's energy came through both.

Mozart didn't just sit around and wait for the notes to appear, DaVinci didn't wait for the muses to show, and Elizabeth Gilbert didn't wait to eat, pray, or love her way to several bestsellers.  They showed up every day, some days or weeks or months were trudging through the work, until those magical moments where the ideas came through and they grabbed onto them with all their might and went along for the ride.  You never get where you want to go by sitting still and waiting.

No more waiting.

This weekend I'm moving my office, my current location feels a bit like a cave so there is no wonder I don't go in there much.  After the redecorating it's back to the business of writing...every day....crap or greatness. I'm making a commitment not just to myself but to my craft to put myself into the flow of ideas and give the books and plots swarming in my brain a way to get out and come to life.

Whether it's writing or painting or dancing or creating spreadsheets or running a company....never sit around and wait for the ideas to find you.  Go out there and get it!  It's there waiting on you!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be posted shortly.