Sunday, October 30, 2016

NaNoWriMo or bust!

It's official....I have signed up for this years NaNoWriMo!!  If you haven't heard of it yet, it's National Novel Writing Month and it's been happening for the last few Novembers.  NaNoWriMo is there to help writers focus on their craft.  The goal is to write 50,000 words during November, or roughly just under 1,700 a day.  There are prizes for those who complete the challenge, but really for me it is to help me get back at what I love.

I'm sure you've noticed, but I've been MIA a lot this year.  At the end of last year I decided 2016 was going to be my year to focus on my health, but I never expected it would take so much effort or how the term 'health' wasn't just about the number on the scale.  It's kind of a long story, but if you want to see some videos of me talking about it than check out my YouTube channel HERE.

Anyway, I became almost obsessive about things and with all my focus there, I neglected other things that matter to me.  And truth be told, when I am writing, I am not eating junk or thinking about food.  Had I done things right and focused on the things I truly love, I probably would have had more success with the scale (down only 10lbs this entire year of yo-yoing!!).

Hence the NaNoWriMo participation.  I need to write, I want to write, I yearn to write.  I've registered on their website (nanowrimo.org), I've signed up with a local group to meet at the library a few times during November, I've even notified my family about being less visible on social media until I hit my daily goals.  I am committed!

Also, to help me not only get on track for November, but to carry it through the rest of the year and all of 2017, I found myself a planner....the Happy Planner. I'm setting myself a social media schedule to make sure I am keeping up with posting about my writing on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Pinterest...and of course writing every Sunday in this blog.  Sundays I will be posting everywhere, but throughout the week I will try to post to at least one or two platforms a day.  Make sure you follow me everywhere as content will not always be identical!

Organization is key and for me I love having tasks that I can highlight as completed when done...in a life where I feel I am not productive at times, it makes me see how much I actually am doing to progress my writing and my goals.  With the 50k word count, I should be right about to the finish line for one of the works in progress I have in the wings right now.  Hopefully this time next month I will be happily reporting that the book has been pushed through to my editor and setting a release date.

Until next Sunday,  enjoy your week, follow your passion, and surround yourself in joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be posted shortly.

Here is what you missed!